Monday, January 11, 2010

1 Nephi 1-5

After a long day of classes I decided to sit down and start re-reading the Book of Mormon. Although, I don't do this enough, I still enjoy reading this book. While reading these chapters, 3 things seemed to stand out.

  • 1 Nephi 1:14
"And it came to pass that when my father had read and seen many great and marvelous things, he did exclaim many things unto the Lord; such as: Great and marvelous are thy works, O Lord God Almighty! Thy throne is high in the heavens, and thy power, and goodness, and mercy are over all the inhabitants of the earth, and, because thou art merciful, thou wilt not suffer those who come unto thee that they shall perish!"
This verse really stood out to me. Anyone who comes to the Lord will not perish.
It doesn't say all white men, or all Mormons, or all Baptists, it says anyone that comes unto thee.


The Lord commanded Lehi to take his family and flee unto the wilderness, before Jerusalem was destroyed. Lehi and his family had to leave their gold and silver and riches and flee to the wilderness. How is it that Lehi, when asked by his Father in Heaven, can do something as drastic as that, but when I am asked to do something simple or easy I don't? I wish I could have the faith and obedience that Lehi had.

  • One of my favorite verses occurs in these 5 chapters: 1 Nephi 3:7
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." Our Father in Heaven will not command us to do anything impossible! Everything that he commands us to do, is achievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment